There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information, to communicate with other people or to create new content. When you share information with us, we can make those services even better. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
1. Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, our services require you to sign up for an account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number or credit card to store with your account.
Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you
use and how you use them, like when you access a vessel’s details, check the schedules of a port, or otherwise
view and interact with our content. This information includes:
Log information When you use our services or view content provided by Portchain, we automatically
collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
- Internet protocol address.
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Portchain Account.
- Local storage We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Cookies and similar technologies We use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Portchain service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners that may appear on other sites.
- Log information When you use our services or view content provided by Portchain, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
Information we collect when you are signed in to Portchain, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your Portchain Account. When information is associated with your Portchain Account, we treat it as personal information.
2. How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Portchain and our users. If other users already have your email, or other information that identifies you, we may show them your publicly visible Portchain Profile information, such as your name and photo.
If you have a Portchain Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Portchain Account.
When you contact Portchain, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer.
Portchain processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
3. Information you share
Many of our services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
4. Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
5. Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Portchain unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Portchain when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
For legal reasons We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside
of Portchain if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information
is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Portchain, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
6. Information security
We work hard to protect Portchain and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to Portchain employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
8. Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities
When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that we cannot resolve with our users directly.
10. How to contact us
You have the right to delete, reform, modify and update your Data. You can at any time deactivate your account by submitting a request to the addresses above. You may contact us at the above address for any other information or objection you may have on data processing.